You should be glad marketing is no longer a thorn in the side.
Today, marketing strategies are laser-focused on consumers, which is a considerable drift away from the rather annoying, product-centric approaches of traditional marketing. All credits to the dominant inbound methodology, you don’t have to act like a jerk to grow your business.
Inbound marketing engenders the most effective strategies for attracting visitors, converting prospects, closing leads and delighting customers. Hence, you can set your business on steroids by implementing some simple tips.
My aim is to take you by the hand and show how social media comes in handy in optimizing your conversion rates.
WHY SOCIAL MEDIA?
…because social media is an invaluable tool for business growth. It plays an indispensable role at every stage of the buying cycle.
Don’t take my word for it, though. Here are some facts to prove the opportunities provided by social media:
- First, of the estimated 3 billion people who use the internet (Time.com), 65 billion are active social media users (We Are Social). Meaning, 1 out of every 3 internet user is active on a social medium.
- With an average of 1 million new active mobile users daily, the social media user growth rate surpasses the internet’s with about 1.1 % (We are Social).
- In 2015, Facebook alone accounted for 52% of both online and offline purchases (The Drum).
- 44 % of people begin their online shopping with a search query (Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012). And YouTube, a social media platform, has, today, become the 2nd largest search engine (Social Media Today).
- 50% of shoppers have made purchases due to recommendations found on social media. (Rivaliq).
- 6% of sales people use social media to outsell their competitors (Forbes).
- In the e-Commerce Industry, 529 000 orders were made from 37 million social media visits (Shopify).
- 67% of Twitter users are said to be more likely to buy from brands they follow. (Rivaliq)..
Further, the image below shows the conversion rate of a few social media platforms:
As you can now imagine, you’d be leaving tons of cash on the table if not tapping into the opportunities provided by various social media platforms.
Now, to the real deal…
15 WAYS TO INCREASE YOUR CONVERSIONS USING SOCIAL MEDIA
1. ASCERTAIN YOUR BUYER PERSONA:
This is the first step in developing your content and social media strategies.
It’s most pertinent to have a great deal of information about whom your prospects are. This will help determine the best social media platform on which you should establish your marketing campaign and the kind of content that will earn you high conversions.
In case you’ve got no real knowledge of your buyer persona, it’s time you went back to the drawing board. Here are some basic tips to help you out:
- View your backlinks – getting an inbound link may just be a pointer to the fact that the blog that linked to yours has an audience with similar interests as yours. Make a research on this audience to have a rough knowledge of your prospects’ nature.
- Conduct a survey – organize a survey in which readers are compelled to provide valuable information about themselves.
- Embed relevant fields in a registration form – in case your company is offering some hot, irresistible services, you may want to add a few fields, prompting prospects to answer valuable questions such as their job, role in a business, the size of their company, industry, etc., before gaining in-road.
Here’s how Hubspot does it:
Embedding these in your newsletter subscription form may discourage conversions, as a research revealed that people are more likely to opt-in for something when there aren’t much fields to be filled.
- Grab clues from your blog’s comment section – the comment section is prime real estate for determining the interests and challenges of your readers. Peruse through to have a grasp of your audience’s nature.
- Consult Your Web Analytics – this gives you tons of information including the location of your prospects. Hence offering you insights on how to better schedule your posts for greater reach and engagement.
2. POST CONTENT RELEVANT TO THE PRESENT STAGE OF YOUR BUYING CYCLE:
A buying cycle in marketing is a set of stages through which prospects pass before becoming customers. It comprises three stages: the awareness, consideration, and decision stages.
The awareness stage is that in which prospects are assumed to lack knowledge about the sort of problem they face or the solutions to it. In the consideration stage, options regarding solving such problems are offered. Last, is the decision stage which must include efforts aimed at guiding a customer to making a favorable purchase decision.
Your conversions can be hiked by channeling efforts towards publishing social media content that address the particular stage in which your prospects are in the buying cycle.
Just think about it – you won’t want to flaunt your premium e-book about link generation if your prospects don’t know why they even need links to their websites. Neither would you like to over-emphasize the importance of link generation when your prospects are fishing for ways to actually get it done.
3. LINK YOUR BUSINESS’ LANDING PAGE TO ITS SOCIAL MEDIA PROFILE:
Exploit the opportunity provided by social media platforms to link to your site. You must, however, ensure these links are directed to your landing or sales page, so as to ease prospects of the stress involved in ‘ransacking’ your website for a purchase or sign-up.
You can supercharge your conversions while reducing the occurrence of bounce rates by not linking to your homepage, except if such contains finished products or a pop-up subscription box (pop-us are no longer advisable, though).
The best practice while employing this tactic on Facebook is to create a page for your business’ website. On completion, you’d find a page that looks something like this:
Click on the blue button captioned ‘Add a Button.’ In the following window, click on ‘Choose a Button’ as seen below:
Then, select conversion-enhancing call-to-actions like ‘Book Now’, ‘Use App’, ‘Shop Now’ or ‘Sign Up. Finally, input the link of your landing page’s (or wherever your call-to-action is targeting) URL.
Most social medium platforms let you provide a link to your website on your profile. Harness this properly.
4. LEVERAGE A THIRD-PARTY SERVICE:
You can as well bypass the unpredictability of converted clicks by taking the sales directly to your audience with cutting-edge third party services.
Examples of these services are Persollo and Like2Buy.
Like2Buy is an Instagram check-out service that creates a landing page which happens to be an exact representation of the products published on an Instagram profile. It works well in pushing prospects down the sales funnel, as they are easily given the opportunity to purchase the products that piqued their interest.
Here’s Walmart’s Instagram profile:
As you can see, Walmart uses a Like2buy link on its bio. Below is where the link goes.
Not much of a difference, right? A click on any of the images above will lead to a page on Walmart’s website where same products can be found.
On the other hand, Persollo bridges the gap between engagement and sales on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, and Snapchat.
The reason for services like these is to ease prospects of the difficult task of plunging deep into websites in order to purchase what they wish.
For a study reveals that people are more likely to purchase when minimal parameters are set, you’ll be smart to leverage most third-party services’ flexibility to give prospects access to your products within a snap.
5. USE VISUALLY DRIVEN CTAs:
People are more compelled by images than they are by plain text.
In fact, colored visuals increase the willingness of people to read a content by 80%.
This means your social media content are more likely to have greater click-through rates if accompanied by images.
Most social media platforms allow the publishing of captioned images. Leverage this to watch your conversions soar.
6. ADD A ‘PIN IT’ HOVER BUTTON TO YOUR WEBSITE’S IMAGES
Pinterest is a budding social network with about 100 million daily active users – proving its massive potentials.
The great news is, you also can improve conversions by getting Pinterest right up your alley. Simply add a PIN IT button to your websites images as exemplified in the image below:
7. HARNESS PAID ADVERTISEMENT CAMPAIGNS
Social media paid advertisements are an extremely effective way to boost conversions. On Twitter, for example, promoted tweets show average engagement rates of 1 to 3 percent – a rate way beyond traditional banner ads. Also, Facebook’s desktop and mobile ads have 8.1 and 9.1 times more click-through rates, respectively, than normal ads.
These paid advertisements widen your reach by triggering quality impressions (based on your budget). A premium is also placed on relevance, as many platforms enable you to select your target audience. This broadens your chances of increasing conversions and return on investment (ROI) by streamlining your reach to an audience that matters the most.
8. ENABLE REMARKETING SERVICES:
Do you want prospects to think about you when about making a purchase? If yes, enabling social media remarketing should cut it.
While the buying cycle may be long and complicated, on getting to the decision stage, prospects who had visited your website can be captured through remarketing,.
9. EMPLOY HIGH-CONVERTING KEYWORDS
Do not fail to use attention-grabbing keywords while posting a call-to-action on a social media platform.
According to Marco Sacca, the following are high-converting keywords on a few platforms:
Facebook – Where, When, Tell Us, Inspire, Submit, Deals, Discount, Warns, Amuses.
Twitter – Retweet, Follow, Social Media, New Blog Post, Check Out, Help, Top.
LinkedIn – Created, Improved, Increased, Developed, Reduced, Researched
Google+ – Share, Promote, Increase, Create, Discover.
10. INTEGRATE SOCIAL SHARING BUTTONS ON YOUR WEBSITE
Delight shouldn’t occur only after a lead is closed; it must occur at every stage of the buying cycle.
After doing a good job at delighting, you can accumulate tons of unsolicited promoters and ensure they drive conversions through social media by embedding social buttons on each of these:
- HOME PAGE.
- BLOG POSTS.
- SALES PAGE.
- THANK YOU PAGE – the page that should follow your landing page.
11. PROMOTE YOUR BRAND THROUGH INFLUENCER MARKETING:
Influencers are thought-leaders in a particular niche. What sets them apart is their possession of perceived unparalleled authority and massive following.
People are more likely to listen to influencers who they believe have a great knowledge of their interests. Hence the reason you should employ their services.
Neil Patel’s infographic offers you a 5-step plan to kick-start your influencer marketing strategy.
Follow these steps and you’ll be setting forth a great conversion scheme.
12. ENGAGE IN SOCIAL LISTENING:
Be a relevant and participating member of communities on social media including Google + Communities, Facebook and LinkedIn Groups. Twitter chats are equally useful.
These may come in handy in promoting your brand and broadening your reach.
Try out social listening tools (such as OkToPost) to monitor relevant social media platforms to better structure your marketing strategy.
13. PUBLISH VIDEO CONTENT:
Content packaged in a video format is known to rake in large engagement. According to Hubspot, 92% of mobile consumers share videos.
And, 64% of internet users are said to be more likely to purchase a product after watching its video.
Make a great deal of this potentials by publishing engaging, entertaining and informative videos which address particular stages in the buying cycle. There are many great strategies for producing viral videos.
At a later stage in the buying cycle, your videos will yield desirable outcomes when used in advertising your product. Leverage every applicable social media platform in doing this, including Instagram and Snapchat Stories feature.
Live videos are also great for enhancing conversions. Learn how Facebook Live exemplifies this.
14. PROVIDE SOCIAL PROOFS FOR YOUR PRODUCT(S)
Social proofs are needed to allay fears of risk in the mind of consumers and to accentuate your product(s) quality.
KISSMETRICS provides 7 factors you must understand when leveraging the power of social proof.
Both reviews and testimonials are great social proofs to use in providing social proof. Employ them in areas where they can be easily accessed by your audience.
For instance, you can regularly publish reviews as either texts, pictures or videos on your social profile’s newsfeed. Or you can simply pin a post of them on your social media page.
This way, you’d be making prospects more eager to take the desired actions.
15. MEASURE YOUR PROGRESS
This perhaps is not a means of improving conversions, but it is significant in re-strategizing, if need be. A great marketing campaign is of no good without appropriate analysis to ascertain strengths and weaknesses.
Your social media campaign could really use the right tools for measuring return on investment – an indication of your conversions – to determine whether or not to overhaul your strategy. An example of these tools is Google Analytics.
WRAPPING IT UP
While many deem social media as merely a tool for promoting brand awareness and attracting prospects, fact remains, some core business objectives can be achieved through it.
This piece shows you some 15 ways to turbocharge your conversions directly from social media. I hope it works well for you.
Reach me in the comment box and let’s see what areas you’ve got problems in.